[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Earnie Boyd earnie@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 4 11:24:00 GMT 2008

Quoting Charles Wilson <cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm>:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 06:01:37PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>> Yep. A few things off the top of my head:
>>>
>>> 1) the shells need to install both in /bin and /usr/bin. This is up
>>> to the individual maintainers when they build their -1.7 versions,
>>> but to take on super-duper important shell:
>>> Or "tough. you want to run /bin/bash, ensure /usr/bin is in your PATH"
>                               ^^^^              ^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Geez. This was the really-just-a-joke-WJM response. Doing this will
> cause no END of trouble and lots of FAQs. It means I can't have a
> shortcut whose target is
>   "C:/cygwin17/bin/bash -e somescript"
> or even
>   "cmd /k C:/cygwin17/bin/bash.exe -e somescript"
> unless my environment settings (either system or personal) force
> /usr/bin into my PATH (otherwise /bin/bash can't find cygintl-8.dll
> and friends).

The heartburn can be solved with an /etc/profile.  Set PATH in it and
you're done.  Changing the PATH to the user liking should be done in
the ~/.profile file.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/