[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Thu Apr 3 22:52:00 GMT 2008

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Why do we need a fstab.$SID and linux doesn't need this?

Well, I like to create user mounts for each user (Guest, Administrator,
me) like this:

mount -f -u -b "C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/My Documents" "/mydocs"
mount -f -u -b "C:/Documents and Settings/<user>/Desktop" "/desktop"

mainly for convenience, but also because spaces and the command line
don't mix well. Linux doesn't have to deal with asinine decisions made
in Redmond, WA...from a hidden microphone in 1995: "LOOK! We can support
spaces in filenames as well as filenames longer than 8.3, so let's use
them EVERYWHERE! Spaces for EVERYBODY! Really long and hard to type
system paths, like 'Documents and Settings'! Whoo-pee!! Steve Jobs has
got nuthin' on us!"

I realize that on (clean-install, non-upgrade) Vista, this is less of an
issue, because the "new" paths are

mount -f -u -b "C:/Users/<user>/Documents" "/mydocs"
mount -f -u -b "C:/Users/<user>/Desktop" "/desktop"

but XP and 2k aren't going anywhere for a long long time, if even one of
the horror stories I've read about Vista are true...

--
Chuck