[HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Larry Hall lhall@rfk.com
Thu Apr 3 18:46:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Apr  3 20:21, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Right.  Since the users can shoot themselves in the foot anyway by
>>> overriding /bin and /etc, unless we want to litter the code with special
>>> handling of directories, might as well let them do it at their leisure...
>>> :-)
>> For testing I applied a patch which creates a default root dir.
>
> Oh, I just figured that I forgot to mention the second part of the
> patch (even in the ChangeLog):
>
> The FS type field is used now to recognize the cygdrive prefix.  So,
> my current local /etc/fstab file looks like this:
>
>   $ cat /etc/fstab
>   # C:\cygwin / ntfs binary 0 0
>   C:\cygwin\bin /usr/bin ntfs binary 0 0
>   C:\cygwin\lib /usr/lib ntfs binary 0 0
>   C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts ntfs binary 0 0
>   C:\cygwin\home\corinna\textmode-dir /home/corinna/textmode-dir ntfs text 0 0
>   c:\cygwin\home\corinna\managed /home/corinna/managed ntfs binary,managed 0 0
>   \\fs01\archiv /home/archiv smbfs binary 0 0
>   none /mnt cygdrive binary 0 0
>
> Note especially the first entry for the root dir, which is commented out,
> and the last entry for the cygdrive prefix.

Looks good to me.  Before this is all done though, I expect we'll need to
include an explanation before the first line explaining why it's commented.
Something like:

# Commented line below represents the default '/' mount point.  To override
# this, uncomment the line and make the appropriate changes.

?

--
Larry