EOL for Windows 95/98/Me

Mon Feb 12 13:02:00 GMT 2007

On Feb 12 07:51, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 01:22:17PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Sure enough only 5% of the list subscribers read the latest
> >announcements carefully or bothered to visit the cygwin HP.  But I'm
> >wondering if we really need to ask the main list, given that we will
> >stop support for 9x anyway.
>
> If I've learned anything in the last year it's that you have to give
> people advance notice about changes which could impact them severely.
> Since we don't know how many people this will affect and since it is a
> major change for Cygwin you really have to let as many people know about
> this as possible.
>
> So, I've sent out a cygwin-announce notice about this.

Looks good to me.  Now I'm curious about the replies.  Oh the suspense...

> >And, if we do as suggested, we can split out a distro for 9x based on
> >1.5.24, so the 9x users aren't entirely left alone.
>
> I'm still wondering if this shouldn't be Cygwin 2.1.0 rather than Cygwin
> 1.7.0.  As long as we're making major changes maybe we could start by
> moving to cygwin2.dll.  There are a number of misdesigns that I'd love
> to remove from cygwin, given the chance to do it over.

We're discussing switching to Cygwin 2 for years now, but now that you
mention it I'm getting nervous.

What I'm trying to avoid is to break backward compatibility with the
existing Cygwin distribution.  It's rather hard to use a snapshot, if
you don't have applications supporting it.  I think we can start to
remove old interfaces which are really not used by net distro
applications, for instance, the v8 regexp functions, or the old 32 bit
stat/off_t entry points, stuff like that.  But I'd like to stay API
compatible to the net distro.