New rename(2) function

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net
Thu Aug 2 00:23:00 GMT 2007

According to Corinna Vinschen on 8/1/2007 3:03 PM:
>>> "If the old argument and the new argument resolve to the same existing file,
>>> rename() shall return successfully and perform no other action."
>> [...]
>> *sob*.  This requires to open both files and look for the file id.
>> I'm seriously disappointed about this requirement.  You can tell
>> that your friend Austin or whatever his name is!!!1!
>
> I've checked in a patch to get on with Doc Austin.

Is it any cheaper to determine how many links fh has, and skipping all the
efforts of opening nfh if it is less than 2?  Other than that, it looks
like you've implemented what the Doc ordered (although it may still be
worth asking him to reconsider his position on ERN 88).

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net