Win98: GetDiskFreeSpace fails on shares

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Jun 16 13:16:00 GMT 2005

----Original Message----

  Did you verify the UNC path is properly terminated with a trailing slash?

> Funny though, that this is supposed to be a bug in the first Win 95
> release
> only, according to MSDN:
>
>   Windows 95:  The initial release of Windows 95 does not support UNC
>   paths. Therefore, you must temporarily map the UNC path to a drive
>   letter, query the free disk space on the drive, then remove the
> temporary mapping.
>
>   Windows 95 OSR2 and later support UNC paths.
>
> Can anybody reproduce this or is this just on my machine?
>
> Anyway, does anybody here have a nice idea how we can workaround this for
> 9x in the statvfs function in syscalls.cc?

  I don't have access to a win98 system right now, but I guess the first
thing I'd try would be to see if the .....Ex version of the function worked
any better; often, .....Ex functions have very different implementations
internally as compared to the non-Ex versions.  Temporarily mapping and
un-mapping drive letters doesn't seem very nice to me.....

    cheers,
      DaveK