Symlinks under /proc

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Mon Jan 31 20:23:00 GMT 2005

On Jan 31 15:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:04:57PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On the same line, does base-files already create empty /dev and /proc
> >directories?  No, apparently not.  Adding these empty directories would
> >helps a lot for file completion.
>
> Have we reached the point yet where we can just get rid of special /dev
> handling entirely?  Maybe we could just add /dev population to setup.exe
> or even have cygwin1.dll itself run a program if it detects an unpopulated
> /dev, sort of like how udev is handled in linux now.
>
> My only reservation with doing things this way is that we'd be making
> cygwin perform a disk lookup every time someone wanted to get to open
> /dev/tty.

I would not like to change that yet.  So far, the DLL is still basically
self-sufficient.  If you require on-disk devices, you can't use the DLL
anymore without having a minimal installation process.  I can see the
point where I'm getting convinced that exactly that is a good idea, but
right now...

Red Hat, Inc.