waveXxReset: strace reports thread 'unknown'

Brian Ford ford@vss.fsi.com
Fri May 7 22:44:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004, Gerd Spalink wrote:

> My question is: Should I be concerned and is there a hidden bug in the
> file handler, or can someone tell me what this thread is?

You probably shouldn't be concerned.  I can't say what that thread is, but
if your speculation below is correct, I can say why it's there.

> I could imagine that the waveXxOpen functions start some thread, which
> is terminated by waveXxReset. But I have no idea why this ends up in
> _cygtls::remove.

All threads, Windows or Cygwin, go through a hook (threadfunc_fe) that
gives them a thread local storage object at the base (approximately) of
their stack.  When they die, the destructor for that object is called.

(I hope I got that close to right.)

> P.S. The most recent wording of the list of changes for 1.5.10 is fine
> with me.

Glad I didn't offend you.

HTH

--