Release 1.5.9 soon

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Fri Mar 19 20:33:00 GMT 2004

vinschen wrote:
> On Mar 18 16:45, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>Since I have "fixed" the problem with people being unable to run some
>>programs due to cygheap allocation, I should release a new version of
>>cygwin ASAP.
>>
>>Is there anything that needs to go in right now before I make a release?
>

> Not from me.  My new tape code is still twitching.  I have also two
> funny new mmap features in the loop (only on NT), but that's not really
                                         ^^^^^^^^^
Hi Corinna,

In partial response to this and the discussion you were having with
Alexandre Olivia regarding gcc-3.4 pch problems under cygwin.

After looking at the VMM kernel services documentation for 9x*:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/w98ddk/hh/w98ddk/kernel_8t4m.asp

It might be possible to overcome 9x's native memory mapping limitations
by supplying our own hooks to the 9x's system API.  FWICT, it seems like
the kernel level provides a wealth of memory management, mapping, and
locking functionality that just isn't currently available to userspace
via conventional means.

While googling, I also ran across this article which I found to be quite
informative on the subject of memory mapping and how to deal with the
64kb-boundry limitations of MapViewofFile for Win9x/Me/2k/XP:
http://freespace.virgin.net/james.brown7/tutorials/bigmem01.htm

Maybe it is of some use?  I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Nicholas

[*] If anyone's interested, I still have a copy of the last 9x DDK MS
distributed before they removed it for the newer NT-only versions.