Using eCos code in Cygwin

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Thu Jan 22 16:20:00 GMT 2004

vinschen@redhat.com wrote:

> On Jan 21 15:09, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I've been working on integrating the full bind resolver into Cygwin and,
>

> Is that different from what we already have in minres?

Yes.  I'm taking a slightly different approach then Pierre.  I believe
he is using bind8 sources, whilst I'm using the latest bind9 w/ FreeBSD
sources.  My goal is to provide a single, uniform resolver across all
platforms, with the source code as clean as possible of any kluges.  I
know that either people are going to call me crazy or flame me for what
I'm saying, but, hey, it's just my opinion.  Frankly, I'm sick of seeing
one thing done 4 different ways because Microsoft can't get its act
together and release a unified winsock3 for all versions of Windows[1].
  Also, let's face it, the windows resolver is very simple and bind wins
hands down in terms of functionality and flexibility.  Maybe I'm bias
because the more I get into the winsock internals, the more I dislike
it.  Anyhow, I'd like to keep the /etc/resolv.conf as the central
configury point.  If it doesn't exist, then I'll grab the "nameserver"
and "search" information from the registry.  I've also thought of
providing a simple utility for use in scripts (profile.d, init.d, etc.)
  which automatically generates this file on the fly (similar in nature
to mkpasswd).  I'm also intrigued by CGF's idea awhile back regarding
/etc/fstab; perhaps I could do something similar with /etc/resolv.conf.

Cheers,
Nicholas

[1] I mean really, if you look at the NDIS DDK interface and how WinPcap
has exploited it, the support code is *there* in Win95a to support all
of the same winsock feature code (with exceptions for security) found in
the latest & greatest winsock dll in Win2k3.  Gee, too bad that federal
judge was so soft on Microsoft...  If I were judge, my punishment would
be to force them to support, free of charge, all their products for a
minimum of 15 years ;-).