New POSIX semaphore functionality

Robert Collins rbcollins@cygwin.com
Mon Oct 27 12:35:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 23:32, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> IMHO it would be a pity to require cygserver for POSIX semaphores.
> Except for sem_unlink(), every other functionality neatly matches
> what is allowed by Windows.  Perhaps we should implement sem_unlink()
> so that it just returns -1 and sets errno to ENOSYS for now.

Well, I don't see the cygserver as a bad thing - setup as a service,
it's no more intrusive that RPCSS, for instance.

And for the semaphores, what I was thinking was that the cygserver
allocates anonymous semaphores, handing out the handles - not that the
cygserver would be used for each and every call.

Rob