ARGH pthreads tests failing?

Thomas Pfaff tpfaff@gmx.net
Wed Jan 22 15:41:00 GMT 2003

In http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2003-01/msg00011.html i wrote:

> The pthread mutex patch will change the mutex default type from
> recursive to errorchecking (all unix systems that i know are either
> errorchecking or fast (deadlocking) by default).
> Any objections ?

Nobody had any.

Changing the default type will not break binary compatibilty, it will only
be noticed in cases where recursive types were expected, but:

I think it is better to revert a change in pthread.h were the
PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE and _ERRORCHECK defines has been exchanged.
I did not realize that this would break some older code.

Reverting this will keep older code working that explicitly set the
mutex type to recursive.

I do not think that it will make sense to keep the default mutex type
recursive if cygwin should be compatible to other pthread implementations
and this can not be done without changing PTHREAD_MUTEX_DEFAULT.

Thomas