possible mmap() problems

Joe Buehler jbuehler@hekimian.com
Wed Apr 16 19:40:00 GMT 2003

Just an FYI:

We have had to disable the use of mmap() in ksh93
because it is causing problems.  I don't know whether
it is a ksh problem or a Cygwin problem, but what appears
to be happening is that incorrect pages are being
VirtualFree()'d or similar.  ksh will be running along
and all of a sudden try to access something in its text
segment and get a segment violation.  Work with gdb
indicates that just a single page got zapped (marked
inaccessible) in the middle of the text segment.

It might not be Cygwin, it might be the ast library that
ksh is based on.  Don't know.

Sorry for the lack of details, it is another difficult
bug, and we'll just not use mmap().
--
Joe Buehler