Contemplating drastic change to mount handling

Robert Collins rbcollins@cygwin.com
Fri Sep 6 09:18:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 13:09, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> This thinking came about due to some late night dabbling with tries as a
> method for scanning the mount table.  They hold great promise for this
> since they are fast and handle maximal matching with ease.  But, then I
> was wondering how I could easily store the trie in shared memory since
> it relies on pointers and sizing a trie ahead of time essentially
> requires building the trie first and then copying it into shared memory
> since we don't currently have a convenient method for allocating shared
> memory.

Why not store the trie in a binary blob in the registry? (I'm just
thinking of minimal change needed to get the benefit).

I really like the use of tries, I've been meaning to get time to
implement that for cygwin for ages. I dont' care either way about
/etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.

Rob