path_conv::check() gets confused by recently opened files

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Wed May 22 06:55:00 GMT 2002

Corinna,

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:56:27PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 04:03:09PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to teach path_conv::check()
> > to deal with recently opened files.  I'm also a little leery to perturb
> > this code.  Any hints or help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I found that path_conv::check() pinches off the tail when searching
> for existing path components.

I meant to mention the above in my post -- sorry, I was in a rush.

> This strips the filename here from path_copy since it doesn't
> exist yet.

Actually, the file already "exists" -- at least it was open()-ed.

> The effect is that
> path_conv->normalized_path can't be correct when path_conv points
> to a yet non-existant file.  I don't see an easy way to get the
> correct normalized path without introducing an additioanl temporary
> copy of the path.

Does it make any sense to do a reverse lookup (i.e., via name and/or
hash) into cygheap->fdtab.fds[] to determine whether or not the file has
been opened?

Thanks,
Jason