shm status

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 9 20:00:00 GMT 2002

Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

Right right right.  I was just raising the issue because it sounded to
me like the proposition was to include ipcrm/ipcs/etc IN winsup.  THAT's
what I was warning against.  If we just want the tools -- say, as a
separate package -- then that's cool.  In fact, once cygserver's IPC
component becomes a viable replacement for cygipc, I'll start including
the ipc-tool executables (semtool, shmtool, etc) in the cygutils binary
package.

> Yes, and we all agreed with that! I don't recall GPL issues ever being
> raised against the inclusion of the cygipc _package_.
>
> Furthermore, with the federated setup.ini capability, there's no reason
> that someone 'out there' can't make cygipc available as a package if
> they want to. I still don't think that cygipc belongs in the main distro
> however.

True -- but it won't be me, because of the same "hinderances" that we
feared originally.

--Chuck