shm status

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 9 19:18:00 GMT 2002

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 02:21:22PM +0100, Conrad Scott wrote:
>
>>Also the ipcs and ipcrm utitilities are really useful when working with sysv
>>ipc so I also thought I could start by adding these. Presumably this would
>>be a case for another cygwin_internal() interface? i.e. get the list of ids;
>>the program then issues xxxctl() calls to get the relevant details or rm the
>>requested objects. Any objections to such an approach? (Just for comparison,
>>the usual Un*x implementation involves reading kernel memory via /dev/kmem.)
>>

> Do we need a cygwin_internal interface?  How do OSes like linux do this?
>
> Maybe it makes sense to start exposing things via the /proc interface, if that
> is the way linux does it.

Except that I think Linus hates the /proc interface -- all that text
parsing to pass info back and forth.  Binary data should be binary...

Anyway, concerning ipcs and ipcrm...there are implementations of them in
cygipc -- but *do not copy them*.  It's that whole copyright thing.

ditto the utilities in cygutils: msgtool.c  semstat.c  semtool.c  shmtool.c.

However, that doesn't stop you from compiling them, linking them against
cygserver, and using them to help test and develop cygserver...

--Chuck