-fno-rtti

Conrad Scott Conrad.Scott@dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jul 27 14:36:00 GMT 2002

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> The Cygwin DLL has always used "c++ lite".  Part of the reason
was that
> g++ didn't work too well when cygwin was first conceived so
things like
> dynamic casts and exceptions were to be avoided.  Part of the
reason
> was that the original developer was teaching himself c++ when he
initially
> wrote cygwin.
>
> My preference would be for you to avoid the use of this feature.
9k is
> 9k.  We already seem to grow and slow the dll with each release.
I'd
> rather not make a conscious decision to do this when it can be
avoided.

Fair enough: I'm a bit blase about code size, due in part to the
environments I've worked in recently, but that doesn't mean big is
beautiful.  I noted your appreciation of that recent patch that
removed both code and bug in one fell swoop but I seem to tend in
the other direction (that's "more code", not "more bugs" -- I hope
. . .)

Would the alternative of compiling just the cygserver with rtti be
acceptable?  For the problem I've got (which is defining equality
operators on a class hierarchy) rolling my own code would probably
cost more in terms of space and time than the native C++ rtti.
Oh! and a much more important reason: it would be irritating too
:-)

// Conrad