building the gcc-3.2-3 bootstrap fails on libstdc++-v3

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Tue Dec 17 05:05:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 10:12:47AM +0100, Thomas Pfaff wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 03:26:27AM -0800, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > >As promised, I have started to check the releases
> > >of cygwin by bootstrapping them.
> > >This one got pretty far, all the way to libstdc++-v3.
> > >
> > >The error is :
> > >../../../../include/getopt.h:115: declaration of C function `int
> > >getopt()'
> > >   conflicts with
> > >/usr/include/sys/unistd.h:125: previous declaration `int getopt(int,
> > >char*   const*, const char*)' here
> >
> > In case it isn't clear, I *do not care* about this problem. I am able to
> > [more venting]
> > How many times do I have to say this???
>
> Chris,
>
> IMHO the easiest way to fix this is to remove the getopt prototype from
> unistd.h and include getopt.h instead. This will define HAVE_DECL_GETOPT
> and the build will not fail. I might create a patch if you agree.

Unfortunately this is newlib.  Adding the getopt prototype unconditionally
in July was obviously not combined with testing this on Cygwin. :-(

AFAICS, the prototypes should be in a `#ifndef __CYGWIN__' bracket or
(better) in a `#ifndef __GETOPT_H__' bracket plus defining __GETOPT_H__.

> Otherwise you have to say this again and again i suppose.

Presumably you're right.

Red Hat, Inc.