readv/writev

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Sat Aug 24 12:10:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:48:06AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>Yah. One thing I've been pondering for a while - strip out all the
>text/binary translation for non FILE calls. I have done *any* research
>to see if there are text-dependent apps using fd based IO, but there
>probably are :p.

Well, yeah.  Pipes certainly can be either.  It may only be pipes,
though.  I've recently removed the ability to do this with console and
(I think) ttys.  It shouldn't be necessary for serial I/O either since
there are already existing UNIX mechanisms for dealing with this.

There shouldn't really be that much overhead to the current method for
handling text/binary reads, though.  It's just checking a bit field.

The handling of setting whether a fhandler is binary or text is still
hairy, though.  Every time I try to change it, I'm amazed by how complex
the rules are.