Useful details about the Make SEGVs

Jonathan Kamens jik@curl.com
Fri Sep 14 12:20:00 GMT 2001


Well, I ran the "make -j2" under smake, and I got it to hang again,
and the results of the strace seem to suggest that cgf is correct that
the problem is related to signals.

The behavior this time around is different from the last time I tried
to debug this.  Last time, when the Make processes hung, the smake
hung too.  This time, something kept looping forever inside the
signal-handling code; when I noticed this after leaving the test build
to run for an hour or so, my strace.out was over 2GB large.

Interestingly enough, some part of Cygwin apparently doesn't like
files that are over 2GB large:

  $ ls -l strace.out
  -rwxr-xr-x   1 curlbot  Administ 18446744071748939431 Sep 14 14:46 strace.out
  $ cmd /c dir strace.out
   Volume in drive D has no label.
   Volume Serial Number is B017-B32B

   Directory of d:\scratch\jik

  09/14/01  02:46p         2,334,355,111 strace.out
                 1 File(s)  2,334,355,111 bytes
                              581,992,448 bytes free

Now, I admit that this machine isn't running the current versions of
all Cygwin packages, and who knows, perhaps this is fixed in later
versions of some packages, but I thought it was worth mentioning in
any case.

The strace log has about 18MB of data before it starts looping doing
the same thing over and over again.  I'm not going to include the
whole 18MB here :-), but I've attached the last 60KB or so, including
the repeating block at the end which I've marked as such.

On the off chance that seeing more of the strace log would be useful
to someone, I've uploaded the whole thing to
<URL: http://www.mit.edu/~jik/cygwin/strace.out.gz > (it's 2.48MB
gzipped).  I've also uploaded it in chunks -- I split it into 1MB
chunks using "split" and then gzipped each chunk -- as
strace.out.aa.gz, strace.out.ab.gz, etc., up to strace.out.as.gz,
whose ungzipped counterpart is the text I've attached below.

I realize that this may not be enough for anybody else to do anything
further with this, but I'm reporting it here because (a) there's an
outside chance that it might help and (b) my time is going to be quite
scarce for the next several weeks (Jewish holidays plus two product
releases), such that I will probably have to stop working on this, so
I want to give others the opportunity to pick up where I'm leaving
off, if anybody wants to.

  jik


More information about the Cygwin-developers mailing list