Need name and functionality suggestions for a new utility

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 22:28:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 01:18:22AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>Neat idea.
>

>>Does anyone have an idea for a name?  Or even an idea for more
>>functionality for this utility?  Now that I think of it, this utility
>>should also change the shared memory id
>
>Can you DO that without adding hooks to cygwin1.dll?

No.  You need to add some hooks.  The cygheap changes that I made a while
ago make this very easy, though.

I had the hooks written and cygwin compiled.  Then, sending this email
started a whole flood of new ideas about what needed to be changed.

I think it might just be possible to allow two different cygwins to
coexist without this as long as they share the mount table.  I don't
know if that's a good thing or not.

It means that instead of getting "shared memory mismatch" we'll be hearing
about how the new version of cygwin doesn't fix their problems -- because
they still have a cygwin1.dll in their windows/system directory.

Hmm.  Maybe I should make cygwin1.dll complain if it is placed in the
windows/system directory.

Why do I suddenly picture Bugs Bunny saying "Ain't I a stinker"...?