Local Setup Cache

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Sat Jun 30 12:39:00 GMT 2001

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 09:08:59AM -0700, Michael A. Chase wrote:
>I'll see if I can come up with a patch for that FIXME today.  If the version
>number isn't greater than one of the known versions it will be silently
>ignored.
>
>That still leaves all those old versions laying around on the disk.  Is
>setup.exe the right place to do the cleanup or should we try to get users to
>run something else periodically to remove them?

Sorry.  I didn't answer this question.  I don't know who should handle this.

I guess I don't think setup.exe is the right place for it since the user
could conceivably want to keep old versions around.  I'm really loath to
add another "Do you want to do this?" dialog.  Does anyone think this is
a good idea?

I'm sorry that I have an opinion on this.  I know that my opinion thunders
from the heavens and causes mere mortals to tremble* but if everyone else
thinks that another dialog is the way to go, that's fine.

If we don't distribute setup.exe maybe we should think about either providing
another program which manages download directories and provides package info.
Or, hmm, I guess the package info stuff should come from cygcheck.exe.

cgf
*See recent cygwin mailing list discussion