19990705 snapshot

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Sun Jul 11 09:03:00 GMT 1999

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 11:40:49AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >Why should the shell (the parent process of strace!) should have
>> >any influence in that???
>>
>> I don't know.  Have you tried debugging strace?  Also, have you tried
>> the patch that I posted?
>>
>> cgf
>
>I have figured out, that the problem is the argument handling.
>The executables in my path don't have .exe suffix. This works fine
>in cygwin and especially with tcsh. The strace app unfortunately uses
>the `CreateProcess' call without naming the application as the first
>parameter but only together with it's arguments as one commandline as
>second parameter. So the searching for the application is done by
>windows itself. In the strace code, there's a line 172:
>
>	/* cygwin32_conv_to_win32_path (exec_file, real_path);*/
>
>that shows, that you wanted to let the executable path handled
>by cygwin, which should be the correct way, IMHO.

Actually, this was a kludge that I should have gotten rid of.  If strace
is a cygwin program it can't adequately debug cygwin problems because it
interacts with things like tty handling.  Egor Duda supplied some
patches to make strace into a mingw program which I'll be using.

So, I guess the solution is to make strace do the same thing as cygwin by
searching the path for both .exe and non-.exe extensions.  It also should
be documented to take non-cygwin path specifications, for now.

I'll try to get to that as soon as I figure out the current problems that
people are reporting with the current snapshots.

Eventually, when we get the "load the cygwin DLL from a foreign application"
stuff worked out, I might be able to use bits of the DLL without causing other
unwanted activities.