cygwin1.dll startup and GDB

Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com
Tue Apr 27 19:34:00 GMT 1999

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 10:30:48PM -0400, fortinj@ibm.net wrote:
>DJ Delorie wrote:
>>
>> >       Either way, mapname will be NULL since NULL is being passed as the
>> > first parameter to open_shared.
>>
>> Not always.  When NULL is passed, we musn't call OpenFileMapping(),
>> because it doesn't fail gracefully when passed NULL.
>>

>Sorry, I meant in the specific case I had described later where NULL
>was passed.

Maybe we're agreeing here, but I just wanted to point out again that
DJ's analysis of the situation was correct (not a surprise).  The
problem was that OpenFileMapping should never be called when name ==
NULL.  This was a bug that my recent change introduced.  Prior to my
change, that segment of code never saw a name == NULL.  After my change,
this segment of code was *validly* passed a NULL but it was not dealing
with it the way I intended.

Anyway, that means that either his change or mine should rectify the
problem.

I'm not sure why you are arguing the point rather than trying his
suggestion.