[Attn. MAINTAINERS] Heads up: Perl 5.36.1 is imminent

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed May 3 22:01:10 GMT 2023

On 5/3/2023 8:19 AM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> I wonder if those obsoleted packages are confusing setup.  In a new
> Cygwin installation, choosing only the base packages and cygport, setup
> wants to install perl-Test-Harness (and therefore perl 5.32).

I just tried a second experiment (with a new installation).  I chose
base plus perl-Test-Harness.  Setup didn't report any problems; it
simply added perl 5.32, and I let it complete the installation.  I then
ran setup again, and the Pending view of the Select Packages page showed
perl being upgraded to 5.36 and perl-Test-Harness being uninstalled.

So setup ended up doing the right thing with respect to the obsolete
package, but it needed two passes.

Finally, I reran setup and chose cygport for installation.  This went
through without a hitch.

Ken