Heads up: Problems with parallel make

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Tue Feb 14 16:49:30 GMT 2023

On 2023-02-13 17:38, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 2/13/2023 6:44 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2023-02-13 16:05, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
>>> Several of my packages that used to build fine with parallel make now require
>>> 'make -j1'.  Without this I either get strange errors or a hang.
>>> I can't find any pattern to explain when the problem occurs and when it
>>> doesn't, but it seems to be due to a change in make, starting with version
>>> 4.4.  By default, make now uses a FIFO rather than a pipe in its jobserver
>>> implementation.  You can override this with the make flag
>>>    --jobserver-style=pipe
>>> In all cases where I've tried this, parallel make works again.
>>> It wouldn't surprise me if there's a bug in Cygwin's FIFO implementation
>>> that's responsible for this, but I haven't yet tried to track it down.
>>
>> There is some glibc? compatibility issue also with this recommended workaround.
>
> Could you elaborate?  I don't know what issue you're seeing.

There have been reports from various projects mentioning problems in other
packages ending up at make 4.4 and FIFOs solved by reverting to pipes.

There is a make 4.4.1 release candidate 4.40.0.90 with patches that may help to
deal with this:

	https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-4.4.0.90.tar.lz{,.sig}

https://sv.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?group=make&report_id=111&fix_release_id=110&set=custom

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry