Updating glib2 in cygwin

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Feb 28 13:29:48 GMT 2022

[Redirecting to the cygwin-apps list]

On 2/28/2022 3:49 AM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi Ken
>
> I am a qemu developer at Red Hat. The "official" qemu Windows build
> uses cygwin, and the glib version there is quite old.
>
> I saw you have made some effort to update the package
> (https://www.cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/glib2.0.git;a=search;h=refs/heads/playground;s=Ken+Brown;st=author)
>
> What's the situation? Is there a bug tracking the issues?

Hi Marc,

The last discussion of this that I can recall started here:

   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-May/040105.html

What's needed is for someone to adopt all of the GNOME components and maintain
them.  As you'll see in the discussion I cited, I briefly considered updating
only glib2 and a few others, but then I decided that I wasn't willing to take
the responsibility of fixing/updating other components that broke as a result of
this.  So I pushed what I had done and left it there.

It would be great if someone would step up and take over, but I'm not in a
position to do that myself.

Ken