grep, gzip, readline, dash

Wed Sep 8 03:08:59 GMT 2021

On 2021-09-07 11:47, Achim Gratz wrote:
> did you actuallky changed anything on these releases vs. the previous
> test releases?  IN principle it should have sufficed to just untest
> these.

I can try that next time with dash (see below). From the setup extracts
below you can see that does not change the previous two releases kept.
I thought in recent discussion, stable releases had to be bumped to
replace test releases, so I did that with grep, where a test of a recent
release replaced an earlier test release, and readline:

	grep			3.7-2
                 version: 3.7-2
                 [test]
                 version: 3.6-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 3.0-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 3.0-2
                 [test]
                 version: 3.7-1

	libreadline-devel	8.1-2
	libreadline7		8.1-2
	readline-debuginfo	8.1-2

                 version: 8.1-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 7.0.1-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 7.0.3-3
                 [test]
                 version: 8.1-1

but gzip had a new recent release, mostly gnulib, autotools, NetBSD, IBM
Z390, and checked clean, so I released that as stable:

                 version: 1.11-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 1.7-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 1.8-1
                 [test]
                 version: 1.10-1

and a new dash was released, but as that's so critical to installs I'm
keeping that release also in test for another couple of weeks:

                 version: 0.5.9.1-1
                 [test]
                 version: 0.5.11.4-1
                 [prev]
                 version: 0.5.8-2
                 [prev]
                 version: 0.5.8-3
                 [test]
                 version: 0.5.11.5-1

and I use that as my production /bin/sh, which ensures it gets worked as
hard as bash by X launches, hourly and daily cron jobs, and scheduled
tasks.