duplicate between packages

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue May 4 17:13:11 GMT 2021

On 27/04/2021 04:45, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> Hi Maintainers,
>
> as I just found 2 of my packages colliding with same program name
>
> $ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/ncgen
> hdf4-4.2.15-3
> netcdf-4.8.0-2
>
> as one is much older than the other, the installation sequence
> can give some inconsistencies in the system.
>
> So I checked on my /etc/setup how many duplicates there are
> and it seems also other package has the same problem
>
> Some are not an issue, but on the binaries I can not judge

Yeah, nothing prevents this from happening at the moment.

I did think that calm could do some checking of this (since it needs to
look at the files in a package to generate the data used by the 'search
package contents' web page).

But since we can't know about the contents of packages which might come
from 3rd-party package repos, I think this also needs to be a feature of
setup.