ssh key / upload problem on new PC

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Tue Mar 16 11:28:29 GMT 2021

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 11:25, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm about to upload mintty 3.4.7 but I'm getting a "Host key
> verification failed." error.
> Trying this on a new machine; I copied the whole ~/.ssh folder from my
> old machine, something that used to work in the past. It still works
> from the old machine (as confirmed by fallback for uploading mintty 3.4.6).
> Does anybody have an idea what might be going wrong? Do I need a new ssh
> key? (But porting the key worked before...)

What happens if you do `ssh cygwin@cygwin.com`? That'll normally point
out what the error is. I expect either (a) you've managed to not copy
over your `.ssh/known_hosts` file somehow, or (b) some of the files
you've copied over have the wrong permissions; my money's on the
latter. If so, `chmod 600 ~/.ssh/*; chmod 700 ~/.ssh` will normally
get things going again.

Adam