I14N, L10N impacts: CLDR 39 alpha, ICU 69 dev, git lfs prereq, Unicode 14 alpha

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Mar 2 17:48:58 GMT 2021

On 3/2/2021 12:21 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just a heads up that CLDR is changing a number of its structures impacting ICU,
> and both CLDR alpha and ICU dev are available for testing "some significant
> migration issues" before their final release on 2021 Apr 7 Wed:
>
> http://blog.unicode.org/2021/03/unicode-cldr-v39-alpha-available-for.html
>
> http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-39
>
> The ICU repo requires git lfs installed and it does not appear to be packaged yet.
>
> http://site.icu-project.org/repository
>
> https://github.com/unicode-org/icu
>
> Also Unicode 14 alpha is available for review as they are changing some of their
> attributes and uses on code points:
>
> http://blog.unicode.org/2021/02/unicode-140-alpha-review.html
>
> Emoji proposals:
>
> https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2020/20242r2-emoji-recs-14.pdf

Thanks for the heads up.  If there are significant migration issues, I probably
won't package icu-69 right away when it's released.  Cygwin is already ahead of
Fedora Rawhide, which is still on icu-67.

Ken