attention alternatives maintainer

ASSI Stromeko@nexgo.de
Fri Jul 16 05:18:34 GMT 2021

Doug Henderson via Cygwin-apps writes:
> Please update alternatives to work properly for a first time install
> of an alternative when CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict.

I do not think of this as a bug in alternatives.  POSIX programs that
create symlinks to non-existing files are perfectly valid and they don't
need to care whether they are pointing to files or directories either.
A dangling POSIX symlink resolves once its target comes into existence.

> In order to make it run I must set  CYGWIN=winsymlinks:native, run the
> postinstall script in an elevated shell (or from setup). Then I can
> restore CYGWIN=winsymlinks:nativestrict. I think the link target must
> be created before the symlink is created. Without looking at the code,
> I suspect the order of two symlink needs to be reversed.

No, setup should ignore the CYGWIN settings.  These are for the user,
not the installation.  I wouldn't mind if there was an option to force
this behaviour so people wanting to experiment with it can do it, but
then they have to deal with the inevitable fallout themselves.

Regards,
Achim.