binutils 2.36.1

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Sat Feb 27 20:28:05 GMT 2021

Before releasing binutils 2.35.2, I had already built 2.36 (which was
released two days earlier), but it became almost immediately clear that
there were problems.  Now that 2.36.1 came out I tried again (not that
the changes would indicate anything addressing those problems) and of
course the problems are still there.  With the new binutils installed, I
get lots of fork problems on x86, but not exactly reproducible.  Like
these:

checking for working fork...       1 [main] conftest 7615 D:\Freeware\CygProShare\cygpkgs\mosh\mosh.x86\build\conftest.exe: *** fatal error in forked process - fork: can't reserve
memory for parent stack 0x1400000 - 0x1600000, (child has 0x840000 - 0xA40000), Win32 error 487
  74330 [main] conftest 7615 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to conftest.exe.stackdump
      1 [main] conftest 7614 dofork: child -1 - forked process 1224 died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0x100, errno 11
no

I have yet to find any mention of a change to binutils that would
explain what is going on, so if anybody could have a look and generate
an hypothesis that would be most helpful.  You can use the cygport file
and just change the version number (plus the name of the patch file to
match the version).

Regards,
Achim.