Multiple version of Lua with alternatives

Lemures Lemniscati lemures.lemniscati@gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 11:03:23 GMT 2021

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 23:53:08 -0700, Brian Inglis
> On 2021-02-23 22:20, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> > On 24.02.2021 05:18, Lemures Lemniscati via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> >> On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 19:15:38 +0900, Lemures Lemniscati

    ^^^^^^^^^ (Sorry I accidentally replaced it by '/usr/local' in the
               original mail: it is still /usr/share/lua/luarocks )
> >> I'm wondering again it would be better for luarock to install into /usr/local
> >> tree.
>
> > usually installation with a similar subtree are installed
> > under usr/lib
> > $ find /usr/lib -name bin

> > there are few cases under usr/share
> > but usually are sub-sub trees
> > $ find /usr/share -name bin
>
> > we have nothing "current" installed under usr/local
> > at all. No package should be installed there
>
> Indeed - that's where I stash all my personal Cygwin scripts and exes.
>
> Another good spot is /usr/libexec/ which is well populated by the likes of git plumbing and other packages. I prefer the packages that populate subdirectories rather than littering the top level like geoclue and gvfsd.

Thank you for advices!

I've understood that we should avoid /usr/local.

And, choices for a tree-prefix where luarocks will install rocks are:

1) luarocks_tree=/usr/share/lua/luarocks
2) luarocks_tree=/usr/lib/lua/luarocks
3) luarocks_tree=/usr/libexec/lua/luarocks

And rocks will go:

${luarocks_tree}/bin
${luarocks_tree}/lib/lua/5.3
${luarocks_tree}/lib/lua/5.4
${luarocks_tree}/lib/luarocks/rocks-5.3/
${luarocks_tree}/lib/luarocks/rocks-5.4/
${luarocks_tree}/share/lua/5.3
${luarocks_tree}/share/lua/5.4

I don't know which is the best.

Current choice is still /usr/share/lua/luarocks [1].

[1]: https://cygwin-lem.github.io/lua-cygwin-packages/

Regards,

Lem