autoconf

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Dec 2 16:36:10 GMT 2021

On 12/2/2021 8:32 AM, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On Dec  2 14:18, ASSI wrote:
>> As I said, I haven't looked at it in any detail, but it seems that
>> autoconf is already multi-version, so I guess it would be possible to
>> introduce an autoconf2.7 package in addition to the existing two.
>> That's a slightly wonky way to do that when we expect to later on just
>> replace 2.69 with 2.71, though.
>
> Don't do that.  https://lwn.net/Articles/839395/
>
> autoconf 2.70 and later are new, backward incompatible versions, so they
> should go into a new-and-shiny-and-not-yet-existing autoconf2.7 package.

Does anyone know what other distros are doing?  The only one I checked is
Fedora.  It looks like Fedora 35 simply replaced 2.69 by 2.71, after a long
"heads-up" period for maintainers to fix their packages to build with 2.71.

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/6DTWVJRXLC6SOYE6ZBO6KALWMKA2PMFM/

Ken