autoconf

ASSI Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Dec 2 13:18:55 GMT 2021

Jan Nijtmans via Cygwin-apps writes:
> My 2c : Cygwin should - at least - allow people to install autoconf-2.71
> and - as long as the packages are prepared for it - things shouldn't break.

As I said, I haven't looked at it in any detail, but it seems that
autoconf is already multi-version, so I guess it would be possible to
introduce an autoconf2.7 package in addition to the existing two.
That's a slightly wonky way to do that when we expect to later on just
replace 2.69 with 2.71, though.

> Somewhere in cygport, a check is done for the autoconf version, please
> change this check to allow autoconf 2.71 (as well as 2.59 and 2.69).

The check is in autotools.cygclass (with an obvious fix that you can
apply directly in the installed file):
https://cygwin.com/git/?p=cygwin-apps/cygport.git;a=blob;f=cygclass/autotools.cygclass;hb=336c67d359d7676216bc2e29fe304819505cdba0#l398

> Then I can put back the "cygautoreconf" line in tcl.cygport.

If you just removed that line it won't use the new autotools and run
with whatever Tcl was shipped with.

Regards,
Achim.