[ITA] wxWidgets3.0

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty hamishmb@live.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 11:53:26 GMT 2020

On 21/10/2020 19:39, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I should now add [branch "playground"] entries to make testing appveyor CI
>> builds cleaner and easier, as I usually don't do this stuff enough to remember
>> how to do it, so I muddle through, and then forget what I need to add to my
>> notes on packaging.
> It's not necessary to keep playground as a local branch, just
>
> git push origin master:playground
>
> fix it up as you get the Ci results and then after everything works
> there, push to master and delete the branch on the remote with
>
> git push origin && git push origin :playground
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Excellent, thanks.

Unfortunately, the unit tests do not run correctly for me, but it seems
they were originally disabled by Yakkov, probably for this exact reason.

There are two test programs generated for both GTK2 and GTK3. One is a
commandline tool, and the other tests GUI elements and does things like
simulating mouse clicks and keyboard input. Please note that neither of
these compile unless I edit the makefile to remove the fswatcher
component (which doesn't build in Cygwin), I think it uses a kernel feature.

The cmdline one segfaults (both for GTK2 and GTK3), and a number of
tests fail, but unfortunately I cannot see which exact tests are failing
because I don't get to the summary before it segfaults. I'm not really
sure how to debug this, as I don't have much experience in C/C++
programming, and even less experience with using a debugger. Any good
tips/links?

The GTK2 GUI tests pass with only 2 failures, but there are 53 failures
for the GTK3 GUI tests.

If I can use a demo (eg the wxPython demo) and recursively go through
all the GUI elements verifying things work, would that be considered
good enough? I imagine this is probably what Yaakov did back when he
built the current wxwidgets packages. I'm not really satisfied with this
but I am not sure I have the skills to proceed further without help/advice.

Hamish