[ITA] wget

Sun Nov 15 17:32:18 GMT 2020

On 2020-11-15 00:36, ASSI wrote:
> Brian Inglis writes:
>> I rebuilt with the original cygport updated minimally.
>
> You're still supposed to search the configure log for any signs of it
> not finding stuff you told it was available (like c-ares) and stuff that
> you might not even now it wanted.
>
> :-)
>
>> This is one of those packages that advertises minimal dependencies and
>> documents none AFAICT.
>
> Everything older than about a year mostly looks like that.  Before
> having the CI there wasn't a good way of figuring out the dependencies,
> so almost nobody bothered with it.  It's still incomplete since the
> dependencies pulled in by cygport will be assumed by the package (which
> works only as long as these don't change).
>
>> Is there a way of determining desirable, useful, or additional
>> dependencies?
>
> Usually the upstream documentation tells you their preferences.
> Somtimes packages bundle dependencies, then you have to be careful to
> direct the build to use the system libraries.  Additional dependencies
> beyond those I tend to avoid.  I see you pulled in gnutls/nettle, I'd
> rather use openssl unless upstream recommends against it.

Build defaults to gnutls (as many GNU do now) so presumably previously used in
our package releases and best tested (confirmed by some OpenSSL patch comments).

I now have another semi-useful adhoc packaging script to check build logs for
program dependencies and | xargs which | xargs cygcheck -f for their packages.

> Then you can look for the build specs on Linux distributions which
> usually give you lots of clues (and often patches):
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/wget/wget.spec?expand=1
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/wget/blob/master/f/wget.spec
>
> If in doubt, follow Fedora (like most other Cygwin packages).

Yes, I've used both OBS and Fed elsewhere - added Fed patches to build -2.

>> I found cygcares-2.dll was missing(!) from cygwin 32, so reinstalled
>> it, and libnpth-devel was not installed in either arch, so installed
>> those, added all the lib...-devel and tools dependencies to
>> BUILD_REQUIRES, and all the relevant configure --with/out-... options,
>> so now both arches build with only minor --version output differences.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I'm not really sure why you'd need libnpth and a bunch of other things.

Supported, configured, specified.

> You might want to add libattr-devel and see if xattr support gets
> recognized.

Apparently not an option:

"configure: Disabling Extended Attribute support: your system is not known to
support extended attributes."

likely to require a chunk of work, and no upstream support as now superseded.

>> Is it sufficiently worth while to resolve with a release -2 package,
>> as there may be no further upstream releases of the package, other
>> than replacement by wget2?
>
> Please re-release the fixed package so that both architectures are
> equivalent.

Thanks for feedback and help - if you could please check out the latest cygport
and CI jobs for any issues - I will upload upgrades if I hear nothing in a few
days.