Putting packages up for adoption

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 05:04:38 GMT 2020

Am 20.03.2020 um 04:47 schrieb Yaakov Selkowitz:
> Hello Cygwin package maintainers,
>
> As you all probably noted, I haven't been around much.  My team at work
> has been really busy accomplishing some pretty amazing feats over the
> last number of months, most recently:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/red-hat-openshift-now-available-ibm-z-linuxone/
>
> While it's been great for my career, it obviously hasn't been so good
> for you and the community as a whole, as I've really had absolutely no
> time to work on Cygwin packaging.  In fact, I've barely used my Windows
> machine and VMs at all for quite some time.  And to be completely
> honest, it really doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon
> either.
>
> To that end, in the best interest of the community, please consider my
> packages up for adoption.  I don't expect that any one person will take
> all of them; some are obsolete and due for removal anyway, some should
> be picked up as soon as possible, and others might just end up
> bitrotting if nobody is interested in them.  However, in whatever there
> is interest (or need), hopefully what is there now will serve as a
> strong foundation to on which to continue to build.
>
> (And just to be perfectly clear, we're all in good health; this has
> nothing to do with the current crisis, except that maybe some of you
> have more time at home now to use to the benefit of Cygwin.)
>
> I'll continue lurking on the lists, and with this burden off my
> shoulders, try to transition to being a little more active as a mentor.
> So, please feel free to ask questions (on list, please), particularly
> if you don't understand why I did something in my packaging.  There is
> (or at least was at the time!) a good reason for all of it, even though
> I often neglected to document why.  I'll try to do what I can to make
> this as smooth as possible.
>
> All the best, stay safe, and keep on building!
>
> --
> Yaakov

Hi Yaakov,
thanks of letting us know.
I guess that most of us clearly understood that work took over
and as you have clearly a talent to make stuff work together
I am not surprised that Redhat is using that to full speed.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Marco

PS for all the others:
"Houston we have a problem.."

$ awk '{$1="" ; print }' cygwin-pkg-maint  | sort  | uniq -c |sort -rn
    2691  Yaakov Selkowitz
     244  Achim Gratz
     165  Marco Atzeri
     162  Jari Aalto