cygport install infinite loop in src_postinstall under __prep_libtool_modules

Sun Jul 5 19:29:11 GMT 2020

On 2020-07-04 14:06, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> On 04.07.2020 21:35, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> See attached cygport --debug ...cygport install log.
>>
>> Running cygport ... install, src_postinstall under __prep_libtool_modules after
>> "Fixing libtool modules:" does not find dll in:
>>
>> $ find wget2-1.99.2-1.x86_64/ -name 'cygwget*'
>> wget2-1.99.2-1.x86_64/build/libwget/.libs/cygwget-0.dll
>> wget2-1.99.2-1.x86_64/inst/usr/bin/cygwget-0.dll
>>
>> so it loops on /usr/share/cygport/lib/src_postinst.cygpart:1297ff:
>>
>> while [ $(readlink -f ${ltlibdir}/${dlname%/bin/*}) != ${D}$(__host_prefix) ]
>> do
>>     dlname=../${dlname}
>> done
>>
>> until readlink returns root and just keeps on going, possibly because my Cygwin
>> home is a symlink to my Windows home, but this approach would have problems with
>> any symlinks along the path to the cygport dir, as $D is not similarly resolved.
>>
>> I can wrap the other path in the condition in $(readlink -f ...) and it works
>> normally but this may not be the best approach here.
>> Alternatives, suggestions?
>>
>> In this pre-package there is a check/test program and a DLL - is there another
>> package I could use as a template for how to split this into two packages?
>>

> I assume you are building under some link structure.
> I was hit by long time by it as I was using
>
> /pub -> /cygdrive/d/cyg_pub
> and building in it.
>
> Two options:
>
> 1) patch cygport
>
> I proposed something for that case
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-April/039990.html
>
> 2) mount the directory instead of using links.
> I put this in my fstab and removed the link
>
> d:\cyg_pub /pub  NTFS binary,posix=1,nouser 0 0

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
You can't mount everywhere you might want to use a symlink.
I have a number of topic and src directories cross-linked for convenience.
I should be able to cd src and run cygport without issues.
[Cygwin directory symlinks have a quirk I don't remember working on any Unix I
tried: after cd src, I can operate on ../tgt where tgt may be a physical sibling
entry in the same directory as src, so is not limited to be an entry in the
logical directory ../ containing the symlink to src.]

My working kludge was:

/usr/share/cygport/lib/src_postinst.cygpart:1295ff:

origdlname=${dlname}

while [ $(readlink -f ${ltlibdir}/${dlname%/bin/*}) !=
					$(readlink -f ${D}$(__host_prefix)) ]
do
	dlname=../${dlname}
done

but it would have lower overhead as:

origdlname=${dlname}
# do full symlink resolution on both paths compared to avoid issues
local dest_prefix=$(readlink -f ${D}$(__host_prefix))

while [ $(readlink -f ${ltlibdir}/${dlname%/bin/*}) != $dest_prefix ]
do
	dlname=../${dlname}
done

I now think curl would be the best template for this package, as it includes
exe, lib, devel, and doc subpackages.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]