[ITA] libexif-0.6.22-1

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Dec 31 08:44:10 GMT 2020

Lemures Lemniscati via Cygwin-apps writes:
> exif is troublesome:
>
>   i686 build failed on my local machine,
>   while it's successfully built on AppVeyor CI.

If it's not due to fork errors, then I'd suspect some difference in the
way Windows itself is set up.

> I've reinstalled cygwin32 and tried again, but the results are same.

A reinstallation is unlikely to do anything useful unless you suspect
that you've messed it up previously.  You can trigger a full rebase once
in a while, although I haven't needed that in a long time.

My recommendation is still to keep the (32bit and 64bit) Cygwin
installations that you use for packaging separate from the one you do
any daily work in and keep them in a second-level directory of a
physical drive (like D:\Freeware\Cygwin32).  Do not use any /cygdrive
resources, instead mount everything you need via /etc/fstab.d/builduser.
Keep any locale settings as plain as possible.

>   CCLD     exif.exe
> libtool:   error: cannot find the library '/usr/lib/libintl.la' or unhandled argument '/usr/lib/libintl.la'

Next time you might want to run that again with "V=1" or whatever
invocation removes the cloaking of the linker command line and see if
that gives you a better clue as to what is the problem here.

So it turns out to fail the same on my system locally… and if you look
into .appveyor.yaml you'll find this little nugget:

# Work around a libpopt-devel-1.16-2 packaging issue that causes the error:
#   libtool: error: cannot find the library '/usr/lib/libintl.la' or unhandled argument '/usr/lib/libintl.la'
# See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-07/msg00005.html
- cmd: if [%CONFIG%]==[cygwin] (
    C:\%CONFIG%\bin\bash -e -l -c "rm /usr/lib/libpopt.la" )

…and indeed that makes things work.  :-)

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: