Moving from python2 to python3

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:14:32 GMT 2020

On 30.12.2020 08:21, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-apps writes:
>>> That's not what I'm seeing at the moment.  Package python3 wants to
>>> update to 3.8.6-1 and python38 tries to install 3.8.3-1, that doesn't
>>> sound right.  I'm not sure I am seeing the latest, though (I've updated
>>> from kernel.org).
>>
>> python3 is almost empty and pulls python38
>
> Yes, but it is at version 3.8.6…
>
>> python38 3.8.6-2 should be available as test
>> 3.8.3-1 is last stable
>
> I was concerned about that apparent mixing of Python releases and
> unfortunately it seems I was right:
>
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/cygwin/scallywag/builds/37043802

it seems the appveyor is not running the postinstall scripts

$ ls -l /usr/bin/python3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 Marco Kein 25 Dec 29 20:49 /usr/bin/python3 ->
/etc/alternatives/python3

$ alternatives --display python3
python3 - status is auto.
  link currently points to /usr/bin/python3.8
/usr/bin/python3.8 - priority 38
/usr/bin/python3.6 - priority 36
/usr/bin/python3.7 - priority 37
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/python3.8.