git repositories for cygwin packaging - please test

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Aug 26 22:00:38 GMT 2020

On 8/23/2020 5:01 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 27/05/2020 23:27, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 04/08/2019 21:08, Jon Turney wrote:
>>> To remedy this lack, using the same ssh key you use for sftp package upload,
>>> package maintainers can now also push to git repositories, like so:
>>
>> Package maintainers may have noticed that the output from pushing to these git
>> repositories now includes a line like:
>>
>> "remote: scallywag: build nnn queued"
>>
>> This is a *prototype* of a system to automatically build the packages, where
>> the results appear (some time later) at [1] (URL subject to change)
>>
>> [1] https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/jobs.cgi
>>
>> Currently, many packages will fail to build correctly due to:
>
> I now have built an (opt-in) system which fetches the packages built by this
> into your upload area and triggers calm to process them, which I'm looking for a
> volunteer to test.

I'd be willing to give it a try the next time I have something to upload.  I'm
actually almost ready for a test release of doxygen.  Unfortunately, the 32-bit
scallywag build of doxygen consistently fails with an ld crash, even though I
can build it locally.  So I can't use it for this test.

How does the opt-in process work?  Is it per package?  Is it easy to opt-out
again temporarily?

> Currently, these packages are built using 'cygport all-test', and so will always
> be marked test:
>
> One possible issue is that a git commit doesn't have to change VERSION or
> RELEASE, so this can build packages which are then immediately rejected by calm,
> as that PVR already exists.

Does calm delete them after rejecting them or does the maintainer have to do that?

> I'm not sure if that's a real problem, or what the workflow should look like in
> regards to that.

I don't see it as a real problem, as long as all it means is that I get an email
from calm.  But if I also have to manually delete the packages from my upload
area, that could be annoying.

Ken