cygport: Request a new feature in order to set owner/group names in packaged tarballs.

ASSI Stromeko@nexgo.de
Fri Aug 7 19:09:11 GMT 2020

Lemures Lemniscati via Cygwin-apps writes:
>> No, I was talking about things like XZ_OPT or ZSTD_CLEVEL.
>
> I think XZ_OPT or ZSTD_CLEVEL can be passed through environment.
> And this should control xz or zstd..
>
> XZ_OPT="..." cygport foo.cygport package
> ZSTD_CLEVEL="..." cygport foo.cygport package
>
> And cygport does not prevent from passing parameter through environment.
> Maybe I understand you in a wrong way. Pardon me.

Maybe if you'd gone back to the post I sent on June 14 when I originally
offered the patch you'd have seen:

>> This patch keeps the current defaults in place, but allows one to set up
>> two environment variables to control how tar gets invoked during
>> packaging.  You could do that from either the cygport file or the
>> .cygport.conf file:
>>
>> CYGPORT_TAR_CMD="env ZSTD_CLEVEL=19 tar -I zstd --group nobody:65534 --owner nobody:65534"
>> CYGPORT_TAR_EXT=".tar.zst"

I don't want to pollute the environment for any other command obviously…
and really, I still think creating five new configuration variables to
do what can be accomplished with two isn't a good trade-off.

Factoring out the command invocation into a function probably is a net
win, though -- so I'd keep that part.  It'd probably be useful in some
other instances to so a similar refactoring.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: