Fix for php

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Tue Aug 4 14:08:44 GMT 2020

On 7/21/2020 5:24 PM, Ken Brown via Cygwin-apps wrote:
> This is a follow-up to
>
>    https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2020-July/245623.html
>
> As I explained there, a patch applied to the Cygwin build causes php to often
> call mmap with MAP_FIXED, and some of these calls fail.  Removing the relevant
> hunk of the patch fixes the reported problem, and I don't see any reason why
> that hunk should be needed.
>
> Obviously Yaakov had a reason for applying that hunk, and I'm guessing (hoping)
> that the reason is no longer applicable.
>
> Ideally, someone should ITA php and deal with this.  That person will not be me.
>   I don't use php and I know nothing about it.  If no one steps forward, I would
> be willing to do a one-time non-maintainer upload.

No one has stepped forward, and Yaakov hasn't responded to say why he needed the
problematic portion of the patch.  In view of the recent post on the cygwin list

   https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin/2020-August/245752.html

I think I should probably go ahead with an NMU.  Any opinions?  Jon, are you now
the de facto packaging czar who can authorize this?

Ken