[ITA] python2-wx and related packages for wxPython and wxwidgets

Yaakov Selkowitz yselkowitz@cygwin.com
Thu Apr 23 18:52:43 GMT 2020

On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 18:09 +0100, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote:
> On 23/04/2020 17:08, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > Please keep all discussion on list.
> >
> My apologies, I thought I'd sent the reply to the list.
> > Most of that has already been figured out in our python-wx package.
> > Looking at Fedora, it looks like we just need to add their wxPython-
> > 3.0.2.0-suppress-version-mismatch-warning.patch and wxPython-3.0.2.0-
> > fix-wxcairo.patch and we'll be in sync.
> >
> Okay, I'll add those patches. I think I've gotten confused somehow,
> because my cygport and files are based on the source package for
> python-wx at
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/release/python-wx/,
> but the cygport in that archive also builds all of the other packages,
> and doesn't use the system wxWidgets headers, hence me hacking in the
> wxWidgets 3.0.4 files and having to build everything together.

The work to split them out is already published:

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/wxWidgets3.0.git
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages/?p=git/cygwin-packages/python-wx.git

I suppose I just never needed to actually rebuild python-wx after that,
but the work was done in preparation.

> wxPython 3.0.2 itself is shipped with wxWidgets 3.0.2 in the tarball
> from wxpython.org, and seems to insist upon building its own copy of
> wxwidgets.

Maybe by default, but it is buildable without.

> > No, that's just bound to cause problems.
> >
> This is confusing me because it seems to be what the existing packages do.

That's what they *used* to do.  I moved away from that for the reasons
outlined.

> > Look forward to the follow up.
> >
> > BTW, did you have any plans to figure out wxPython4?
>
> Good to hear. I do, I just haven't had the time yet and I figured it'd
> be best to get wxPython 3 in really good shape (and get some practice
> with packaging!) before sorting that one out.

Fair enough.  python-sip will need to be updated for that as well,
which requires also updating python-pyqt5* in sync therewith, so this
will need to be coordinated.

--
Yaakov