[ITP] italic-man

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Sat Aug 10 21:39:00 GMT 2019

Am 10.08.2019 um 11:07 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
> Am 09.08.2019 um 22:51 schrieb Brian Inglis:
>>> There are multiple ways of activating the feature (also described in
>>> the man page).
>>> The previous strategy placed a shell script wrapper "groff" aside
>>> groff, so the
>>> groff script and groff.exe would coexist in /bin. This was tricky to
>>> install and
>>> particularly it reportedly did not survive a package update of groff.
>>> The new approach does not use this wrapper anymore. Instead it
>>> redirects nroff
>>> to the package-supplied iroff script by configuration in
>>> /etc/man_db.conf.
>> There's also use of the undocumented LESS_TERMCAP_... with
>> GROFF_NO_SGR env vars
>> (see attached - must be sourced from profile or rc) to remap bold,
>> underline,
>> etc. into italic and/or colour, or whatever else you want to change,
>> in all less
>> output.
> So (without my package) LESS_TERMCAP_us=$(tput sitm) man ls
> should have the same effect? Cannot reproduce. And what does
> GROFF_NO_SGR do?
Ah, this works:
GROFF_NO_SGR= LESS_TERMCAP_us="^[[3m" LESS_TERMCAP_ue="^[[23m" man ls
no matter what the value of GROFF_NO_SGR is. Which tool in the `man`
chain interprets the latter?

Value-added of my package:
* automatic injection into the `man` pipe
* terminal-dependent enabling, after checking the terminal type