collecting information for versioned dependencies (was Re: setup -g ???)

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jul 9 18:38:00 GMT 2018

On 02/04/2018 18:03, Ken Brown wrote:
> [Redirected to cygwin-apps from
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-03/msg00365.html.]
>
> On 3/22/2018 6:46 PM, Jon Turney wrote:
[...]
>> This is basically correct.
>>
>> setup is now capable of being told about dependencies where upgrading
>> an already installed package is required, but this information isn't
>> currently collected
>>
>> (For example, some packages now exist (e.g. vim [1]), which were built
>> with gcc 6.4.0-5 and cygport 0.31.0-1.  These packages almost
>> certainly use ssp/fortify functions in the cygwin DLL, and so require
>> a cygwin package >=2.10.0-1 (technically, the requirement is cygwin
>> API >=0.320), but the dependency recorded is only on the cygwin
>> package at any version)

(The example given is kind of incomplete, in that we could define an
additional provides: to record that API version.)

>> That's something someone could usefully work on, if they were so
>> inclined.
>
> The attached cygport patch attempts to address this by requiring, for
> each dependency of a package, a version >= the version installed at the
> time the package was built.  It treats only dependencies found by

Thanks.  This is an interesting approach to automatically collecting
this information I hadn't considered.

Problems are that (i) it makes package builds less reproducible (as
these dependencies will depend on the currently installed version of
them, which might well change over time), and (ii) it will tend of
over-estimate the version required.

I don't know how these problems are solved in other distros, but that's
probably worth looking at...