[setup topic/libsolv] Does "obsoletes:" work?

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Oct 23 11:38:00 GMT 2017

On 21/10/2017 21:18, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/20/2017 6:24 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> Have you ever tested the "obsoletes:" feature of setup/libsolv?  I
>> tried adding an "obsoletes:" line to setup.ini, and it didn't seem to
>> have any effect.

It seems I tested it back in May, so it might well have broken since :)

Here's a very small test repo I've been using for some tests:
http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin/test/x86_64/

But yes, your patch looks like it's needed for it to work correctly...

> It turns out that it *is* working (after a minor fix, attached), but not
> always as I expect.  Suppose A requires B and C obsoletes B.  Then the
> "obsoletes" statement appears to have no effect.  If I remove the
> dependence of A on B, then setup does propose uninstalling B and
> installing C.
>
> I guess the issue is that libsolv interprets "C obsoletes B" as
> "uninstall B and install C", and it won't uninstall B while something
> requires it.

The 'targeted' vs. 'untargeted' distinction is relevant here? Perhaps we
are doing the wrong one?